ACT will enter into a seven-day lockdown from 5pm today.
One positive Covid-19 case, which was infectious in the community, and positive wastewater detections have triggered the territory’s lockdown.
The source of infection remains unknown.
It will be the first time ACT has entered a lockdown since the beginning of the pandemic last year.
Territorians will only be allowed to leave their home for essential reasons including essential employment, accessing health care, getting vaccinated or tested for the virus and shopping for groceries. One hour of exercise will be permitted per day.
General retail will be closed and hospitality businesses will only be required to offer takeaway services. Businesses will also be discouraged from allowing browsing in their stores.
ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr said it was “the most serious public health risk” the territory had faced since the beginning of the pandemic.
He said immediate action was required to tackle the highly infectious Delta strain.
“This is the best path to pursue, to protect the health of the community,” he said.
Mr Barr said territorians should stay in their local area.
“Do not be travelling across the territory for exercise,” he said.
Mandatory mask wearing will also be introduced.
“When in doubt, have your mask on,” Mr Barr said.
The new case is a man in his 20s who lives in Gungahlin.
ACT health authorities said the man had been infectious in the community since Sunday.