Twelve more Victorians have died from coronavirus, while the state recorded 216 new cases – its lowest daily figure in five weeks.
Premier Daniel Andrews on Wednesday said the latest victims were three men in their 70s, four women and one man in their 80s, and three women and one man in their 90s.
The deaths take the state’s toll from the virus to 363 and the national toll to 450.
“Our thoughts and prayers and best wishes are with the families of those 12 people and we wish them well at this very difficult time,” Mr Andrews told reporters.
All of the deaths are linked to COVID-19 outbreaks in aged care, where there are some 2050 active cases across 120 facilities.
Five cases are in public sector aged care, while 2045 are private-sector facilities which are regulated by the federal government.
Last week, the aged care royal commission castigated the federal government for not having a plan to protect the elderly.
But Prime Minister Scott Morrison continues to deflect federal responsibility for the crisis in the sector.
“We regulate aged care, but when there is a public health pandemic, then public health, whether it gets into aged care, shopping centres, schools or anywhere else, then they are things that are for Victoria,” he told ABC News Breakfast on Wednesday.
The daily cases are at their lowest number since July 13.
Melbourne is in the third week of a strict level-four lockdown, which includes an 8pm-5am curfew, due to end on September 13, while the rest of Victoria is under level-three restrictions.
There are 675 Victorians in hospital with the virus, 45 of those receiving intensive care.
Twenty-nine of those in ICU are on ventilators.