One of Victoria’s new local COVID-19 infections says he and his work colleague caught the virus despite taking every precaution.
Henry Li, who has owned Sandringham Dry Cleaners for 19 years, and his colleague are in hotel quarantine after testing positive.
While Mr Li says he is in good health, he says his employee is struggling with virus symptoms.
Victoria has recorded no new locally acquired coronavirus cases beyond the two infections, already announced by authorities.
The health department has confirmed the state recorded two local cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to Friday morning.
An Oakleigh man in his 60s tested positive on Thursday after returning from Sydney at the weekend and Mr Li also tested positive.
“It’s terrible – we did everything carefully, we still got it. I don’t know what happened,” Mr Li told 3AW.
He said they wore masks at work, used hand sanitiser and made sure customers checked in with a QR code.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton confirmed the two new cases had been linked genomically to the Sydney outbreak and its Delta virus variant.
Mr Li and his colleague are now staying at the same quarantine hotel.
While he only has sore eyes, Mr Li says the other man has “quite serious symptoms”.
The Oakleigh man is believed to have contracted the virus during a party at his daughter’s house in West Hoxton in Sydney.
That Saturday night party has since been declared a super-spreader event.
The man returned to Melbourne on Jetstar flight JQ523, which left Sydney at 5.30pm on Sunday.
The flight has been listed as a tier-one exposure site, meaning anyone on board must get tested and isolate for 14 days.
The man took a bus from the airport to Broadmeadows and boarded a train from Broadmeadows to Flinders Street, then Flinders Street to Oakleigh to get home.
The bus and two trains are tier-two sites, meaning any other commuters will need to isolate until they get a negative test result.
The three train stations and a number of shops including a Woolworths in Burwood East and a shopping centre, fruit shop and Asian grocery in Forest Hill have also been listed as exposure sites.
The Sandringham dry-cleaning business has been listed as a tier-one exposure site and QR code data from the business is being analysed.
Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said the dry-cleaning business is the exposure site of most concern.
The Oakleigh man lives in an apartment complex and all the residents there are also isolating.
Mr Li’s wife and two sons have been isolated and are being tested, with contact tracing underway.
The health department confirmed 21,991 tests were processed in the 24 hours to Friday morning, while 18,019 Victorians received a vaccine dose at one of the state-run hubs.
It comes as Victoria declared Greater Sydney, the Central Coast, Shellharbour, Blue Mountains and Wollongong as “red zones” under its travel permit system, meaning people from the areas will not be able to travel to the state without an exemption.
Returning Victorians are able to come home but will need to self-isolate for 14 days.
Health Minister Martin Foley said 13,000 people who had travelled from Greater Sydney since June 11 had been contacted and asked to get tested.
He said three people from Sydney red zones who flew in to Melbourne on Thursday had been sent back.
The Oakleigh man travelled back to Victoria from a Sydney suburb that was considered to be a “green zone” at the time.
A number of restrictions in metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria also eased on Friday.