NSW records 78 new COVID-19 cases

NSW has recorded 78 new local COVID cases as people in Greater Sydney and surrounds continue to live under strict stay-at-home orders.

Of the new cases diagnosed from 62,860 tests in the 24-hours until 8pm on Monday, at least 38 were circulating in the community for some or all of their infectious period.

The isolation status of three cases remains under investigation.

The 78 new cases is down on the 98 reported on the previous day.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian said the efforts of the community was making a difference.

“That 78 number would have been much, much higher had people not been doing the right thing,” the premier said on Tuesday.

A total of 1418 people have been diagnosed with the virus since the outbreak began on June 16.

People living in Greater Sydney, Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Wollongong, and Shellharbour are in the fourth week of a lockdown and the government is under intense pressure over a sudden decision to shut down the state’s construction industry.

Builders, unions and constriction companies have formed a united front to lobby the government to allow some workers back on sites before the end of the month.

On the weekend the premier blindsided the industry by announcing the unprecedented two-week shut down, costing the NSW economy at least $700 million per week and forcing 250,000 tradies to down tools.

CFMEU state secretary Darren Greenfield says if the shutdown continues into August … “businesses will start to collapse”.

“Subcontractors cannot sustain a third or fourth week of this. Our industry will be a basket case,” he told Sydney radio 2GB on Tuesday.

Ms Berejiklian said the decision was taken to prevent the risk of workplace transmission and to stop “thousands and thousands of people” moving around the community.

A southwest Sydney woman in her 50s who died on Monday is the fifth in NSW since mid-June and the 61st recorded since the pandemic began last year.

The Green Valley woman was the mother of two removalists who travelled to central-west NSW while allegedly knowing they were COVID-19 positive. 

Public transport in Greater Sydney has been reduced to a Sunday timetable, leaving some essential workers stranded and some services overcrowded.

NSW Health issued more than 20 alerts for venues and transport routes on Monday night, including a bottle shop at Coffs Harbour, with the north coastal town on alert after a COVID positive person visited numerous venues last week.

There are 95 COVID-19 cases in hospital, with 27 people in intensive care, 11 of whom are ventilated.

A full list of NSW exposure sites can be found at health.nsw.gov.au

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.