South Australia has scrapped COVID-19 border restrictions on Western Australia and the Northern Territory but NSW remains locked out as it continues to battle a Delta variant outbreak.
The SA transition committee met on Thursday to consider border rules imposed after locally acquired virus cases emerged in NSW, Queensland, the NT and WA.
SA had imposed hard border closures for WA, NSW, the ACT, the NT and Queensland.
On Thursday, the Marshall government announced border bans will be removed for WA and the NT from Sunday for people travelling to SA.
“NSW remains closed. ACT remains closed,” Premier Steven Marshall said, unless a person gets a special exemption.
The decision on the ACT was made because of its “porous border” with NSW, which is still trying to get its outbreak under control after extending lockdown on Greater Sydney and surrounding regions, by another week.
“We are obviously concerned about the Delta variant and in particular the current wave in NSW,” Mr Marshal said.
“We don’t want to take any unnecessary risks.”
For Queensland, level six restrictions remain in place for the Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Sunshine Coast, Noosa, Gold Coast, Logan, Redland, Lockyer Valley, Scenic Rim and Somerset areas.
Level three restrictions, requiring three rounds of virus tests, will apply to people arriving from Townsville and the Big Red Bash in Birdsville, but the rest of Queensland is good to go.
Earlier this week, SA dropped testing requirements for travellers from Victoria and also eased a range of local virus measures.
The changes returned the state to a general density rule of three people to every four square metres.
Public and family gatherings increased to 200 people while drinking while standing up and dancing returned.
Mask-wearing rules and advisories were also dropped.
SA reported no new virus cases on Wednesday and currently has just 16 active infections, all in isolation.