Caltex says $8.6bn bid undervalues company

Caltex Australia says the $8.6 billion unsolicited takeover offer from Canadian convenience store operator Alimentation Couche-Tard undervalues the company.

The fuel importer and retailer says it has released non-public information to ACT has the opportunity to return with a revised offer.

Caltex says the bid as it stands does not represent compelling shareholder value considering factors including a prospective increase in earnings, international growth, and the proposed spin-off of up to 49 per cent of 250 retail sites.

“Caltex has a well-developed strategy, privileged assets, strong leadership and compelling growth opportunities that the board believes will deliver attractive value for its shareholders over time,” chairman Steven Gregg said.

“The Caltex board is focused on maximising shareholder value and will carefully consider any proposal that is consistent with this objective.”

Last week’s $34.50 per share cash offer is the second Caltex has rejected as inadequate.

It already turned away an October 11 bid of $32 per share.

Caltex shares dropped 46 cents, or 1.3 per cent, in early trade to $34.30.

ACT chief executive Brian Hannasch has said Couche-Tard, which operates over 16,000 convenience stores in North America and Europe mostly under the Circle K brand, had been looking for an opportunity to enter the Asia-Pacific region for several years.

Nonetheless, Caltex warned shareholders there is no certainty that ACT will return again with a revised proposal.

AAP

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.